Permission granted for Citadel redevelopment
Former home to the Salvation Army will finally be brought back to life
The Citadel, a prominent Sheffield building that has remained vacant since 1999, could finally be brought back into use after planning consent was granted for its redevelopment by Sheffield city council.
WMA Architects, on behalf of Tandem Properties, submitted full planning and listed building applications in October 2019 to for work on The Citadel on Cross Burgess Street in the city centre of Sheffield.
The Grade II-listed building was constructed in 1894 as the Sheffield headquarters of the Salvation Army. It has remained vacant following the charity’s relocation to new premises in 1999.
The interior of the four-storey building is set to be modernised to make it suitable for use as food and drink establishment, whils retaining its historic features.
Work will include increasing the amount of glazing on the Burgess Street frontage with the existing auditorium expected to form part of the restaurant or bar area.
The applications have now been approved, subject to conditions, by Sheffield City Council under delegated powers.
A planning officer’s report said: “The application is for listed building consent in connection with alterations to the listed building. The proposal will secure the longer term future use of the building whilst respecting its historic character.
“It is considered that the limited alterations to take advantage of the building as open spaces at both ground and first floor level will reflect the cultural tradition of the city, resulting in a development that would be visually attractive to potentially high-end occupiers of the building at a key location in the heart of the city.”