Tips for Mowing a 1/2 Acre Lot
A half acre lot is a nice size to have. It’s not too big to be difficult to manage and big enough for a beautiful lawn suitable for the family, pets, and entertaining. As with all lawns, your half acre plot will need keeping in trim, and that means regular mowing. Now some people enjoy mowing a lawn – indeed, it can be a relaxing endeavor on a nice sunny day – but for others, it’s a chore, so how do you keep your lawn in top shape with the least effort involved?
The answer is to have the best mower for your size and type of lawn, as this will make regularly mowing your lawn far easier and less time-consuming. The market for lawn mowers is a busy one, so we’re going to tell you about the different types and give you some helpful tips that will keep your lawn looking beautiful all-year-round. First, let’s check out why you need to mow your lawn so regularly.
Why Regular Mowing is Important
A beautiful lawn is a thing of wonder, and with many homes, it’s also the highlight of the outdoor area. Keeping it neatly mown is not just about making it look good, however, as there are a few other reasons why you should mow regularly during the growing season (spring and summer, and a final couple of cuts in the fall before the dormant winter period) so here are a few facts you need to know:
- It’s a simple fact that during the growing season’s grass grows very quickly and can become long and untidy in just a couple of weeks. Regular mowing, perhaps every weekend or every other, depending on where you are and the climate around you, keeps it at a healthy length that is manageable and looks great.
- A lawn left uncut will encourage weeds, which can take hold surprisingly quickly. Once these have roots in the lawn, they become difficult to control, and applying weedkiller will also kill the grass. Keeping the lawn trimmed neatly means the weeds have less time to become established and are therefore kept at bay.
- When you keep grass cut regularly, it encourages growth, which ensures a lush and beautiful green lawn every time. Leaving it too long in the warmer months may lead to your grass becoming brown and tired, and that’s also a problem with a lack of watering.
These are just a few of the reasons you need to mow your lawn at regular frequencies, and there are many more; plus, keeping it trim makes it look great too. We don’t recommend you cut it golf course green short, but down to half an inch or so, where you can still feel the give under your feet when you walk on it.
That way, you get the best out of your lawn in every way. So, which lawnmower do you need to keep your lawn as beautiful and healthy as it needs to be?
Best Lawnmower for Large Lawns
The lawnmower has come a long way in a short time. Those of us of a certain age can remember the days when they were push-along devices, with no source of power, that you simply forced up and down the lawn by hand. Then came petrol powered models, large and cumbersome – and expensive – that had the power to the wheels for more versatility. But the modern breed of lawnmower is a different beast, with a variety of models and designs to choose from. Let’s have a look at some of these and see which might be right for you.
Basic push-along mower – let’s start with the simple stuff! You can buy a very basic push-along mower that is not powered, and that will cut your grass, but you have to do all the work. These won’t give you the best finish either, and we recommend you check out more sophisticated models that are easier to use and do the job faster.
Powered Electric Mower – the most popular choice of lawnmower for a half-acre plot is this type, powered by an electric motor that will be suitable for the job. Usually, these models are self-propelled, but some will have to be pushed; the difference will be seen quite clearly in the price. Also, check for whether the model you are looking at is corded – so you are restricted in the distance you can travel – or has a rechargeable battery, which means you can go anywhere but have a limited amount of time each charge.
Gas and Ride-on Mowers – for a half-acre plot using a gas-powered or ride-on mower may be a touch over the top! These more powerful machines are designed for larger areas and are very effective where there is plenty of space to deal with but are not intended for smaller lawns where they may prove too big to use. If you have a larger garden, then, by all means, check these out as they are effective, but for our ½ acre plot, there are better options.
That’s our quick look at some of the mowers available now. Let’s close by looking at a few more handy lawn-mowing tips.
One thing that is worth remembering is that a well-kept lawn adds value to your home, so if you are looking to sell, it is important to attend to the outside as well as the rest of the property. Here are a few more tips that should help when mowing:
- Check for stones or other objects before you start mowing
- If you have a corded mower, always keep the cord behind and insight
- Don’t mow bare or brown patches; sow seed instead as per the instructions on the seed packet
- Always treat your mower with care, as it can be dangerous if misused.
We hope this brief guide has helped you understand the best way to mow your lawn, how often to, and the type of mower that you need to do the best job.