The Ultimate Essay Writing Checklist for Beginners
Each year, students across the country face the same dilemma: How can they write great essays without the experience needed to write great essays? To help students like you produce the best quality essays, we’ve assembled the ultimate essay writing checklist for beginners so you will have a path to follow to turn good ideas into great essays. Our checklist will help you to discover your hidden essay writing talent and will offer a few brilliant tips and tricks to ensure you will have the confidence to deliver an essay you can be proud of even if you’ve never written a lengthy essay before.
Therefore, let’s take a look at the items you need to put on your essay writing checklist.
- Read the essay prompt thoroughly. The first step in writing any essay should be to review the prompt carefully and ensure that you understand each part of the assignment. Your essay needs to be on topic, so your first task is to make sure that you are addressing the right question and know how to do so in a way that will maximize your marks.
- Choose a topic with care. The next step is to choose a topic for your paper based on the prompt. In most cases, the topic will be suggested by the prompt, and some instructors may even provide a list of acceptable of suggested topics. If that is not the case for your essay, you will need to select a topic of your own. Choosing the topic is the key step to success, so you want to be sure you pick your topic with care, bringing us to step three.
- Start researching your paper. Before you start writing, you will need to do some research. Research should include a review of what scholars and academics have already written about your subject. If you don’t have a topic in mind, this part of the process can help you to select a topic for your paper based on the topics you’ve found sufficient research to address.
- Compile a list of research, quotations, and evidence. Using your research, compile a list of quotations and evidence you’d like to use as well as a bibliography of the sources you’ve borrowed your information from. Doing this before you write will save you time but also make it harder to accidentally forget a source or commit unintentional plagiarism.
- Outline your essay. Create an outline for each part of the essay, beginning with an introduction and thesis statement, proceeding through each body paragraph, and finishing with a conclusion. By planning out the content of each paragraph before you write, you will be able to write the essay from start to finish more quickly and also avoid the temptation to go off topic or to include information that won’t support your thesis.
- Write the essay. Once you have an outline, you can then write the paper. This step, while it may seem daunting, is actually the most straightforward if you have followed the preceding steps on this checklist. Working from your outline, you will essentially be filling out the outline to create the final essay. You may find it helpful to save the introduction for last to make sure that it matches the conclusion you reach at the end.
- Revise and edit your essay. Revising and editing are often considered the real writing process, and for good reason. It’s important to carefully revise, edit, and proofread your essay in order to ensure that it says exactly what you mean and that it makes good sense to someone who is not familiar with your topic. It is often helpful to let the essay sit for a day or two so that you can approach it with fresh eyes and catch errors you might otherwise miss.
These seven parts of the essay-writing checklist will give you an advantage in writing your paper no matter how much experience you have. However, there is one additional item you should be sure appears on your own personal checklist. When you are done, review again to ensure that you have all of the citations you need to fully document your sources. Plagiarism can sink even the best-written essay, so always double-check to ensure you’ve given proper credit to your sources. That will give you an edge when you need to submit your essay masterpiece, but if you need more help, contact WriteMyPaperHub, online essay writing service and say: “I need someone to write my essay now” so you can get the help you need right away or try this plagiarism tool.