Steel City Style: The Exposed Fashion Shoot 2018
For the uninitiated among you, every year we assemble an array of clobber from the best clothing brands and stores around the city for the ultimate Sheffield photoshoot.
This time, we spent the day exploring Kelham Island with a dream team of models, stylists and photographer Timm Cleasby. The result? A lookbook of fine garms pictured in old industrial buildings, breweries and snazzy bars – a proper Sheffield affair and a fine effort from all involved.
So here’s 29 outfits you can pick up without taking the tram to Meadowhall.
Unit 118, Percy Street Sheffield, S3 8BT // 07469239762 // Insta: @clobbercalm // www.clobbercalm.com
1.Vintage Cotton Worker Jacket / Burgundy UK Made Organic Cotton Plain Tee / Shockoe Atelier Straight Fit Kojima Jeans / Red Wing Shoes Moc Toe 875
2. Rogue Territory Waxed Camo Canvas Field Jacket /Rogue Territory Indigo Canvas Traveller Shirt / UK Made Organic Cotton Plain Tee White /Rogue Territory Bronze Selvedge Officer Trouser /Red Wing Shoes Iron Ranger 8111
3. Vintage Cotton Worker Jacket / Burgundy UK Made Organic Cotton Plain Tee / Shockoe Atelier Straight Fit Kojima Jeans / Red Wing Shoes Moc Toe 875
JOJO’s General Store by Rag Parade
553 Ecclesall Road, Sheffield, S11 8PR // 07891598487 // Insta: @ragparadesheffield
1. Model Lewis Spark wears: WW2 US Navy Gunners Smock in white (£200) A/W 2001 CP Company Dual Layered Parka with Detachable wool lining and Sheepskin Trim (£550). Rare Deadstock unworn 1960’s British Army trousers (£125.00). Trainers and socks models own.
2. 2017 CP Company Explorer Cloak exclusively made for the Gorillaz to be worn at the Demon Dayz Festival. Limited to 50 pieces. This cloak was worn on stage by Damon Albarn and signed by himself and Jamie Hewlett. Price on request.
3. 1960’s British Canvas Mountaineering Smock (£265.00). 1990’s Reissue LVC Buckle Back Selvedge Levi’s Jeans, Made in USA (£85.00). 1980’s Adidas ‘Hawaii’, Made in France, Size UK10 with Original Box. He holds 1980’s Yves Saint Laurent Menthol cigarettes.
4.Stone Island ‘Marina’ Striped Tee (£125) with Stone Island ‘Marina’ Heat Reactive’ Colour Change Jacket (£425). Nike trainers from the Rag Parade Archive. He holds a 1940’s English leather football (£95).
Freshmans & She Cried Wolf
6-8 carver Street Sheffield S14FS // 011427283333 // FB: @Shecriedwolfvintage
1. Denim vintage playsuit (£15) / DMs 1460 pascal wanderlust (£135) provided by Dr. Martens.
2. Reworked She cried Wolf denim jacket made to order (£80) – sequined dress (£30) / bag (£10) / DMs Persephone Arcadia (£140)
3. Prairie vintage dress (£40) / DMs 2976 Crazy Horse (£135)
4. Green sequined dress (£30)
BLK by Gallery
96 Devonshire St, Sheffield S3 7SF // 0114 272 7199 //www.galleryfashion.co.uk
Left: Hoodie – Off-White/ Jeans – Palm Angels / Shoes – Off-White. Right: Shirt – Rick Owens / Bottoms – Rick Owens / Shoes – Rick Owens
Syd & Mallory’s Emporium
158 Devonshire Street // www.sydandmallory.com // insta: @sydandmallory
1. Logo Tape dress is (£38) and yellow beret (£10) / DMs Persephone Arcadia £140
2. Checkerboard top (£25) / Racer skirt with logo band (£22) / DMs Persephone Arcadia (£140)
3. Black Sheer Lover top (£28) / shorts (£22) / socks (£5) / DMs Persephone Arcadia (£140)
99 Parkway Avenue Sheffield S9 4WG // 07583 130 736 // www.forgedenim.co.uk
1. Left: TOP Navy hoodie (£120) / JEAN FD-003 Unconventional 13oz blue selvedge (£260) Right: JACKET Fairway blue (£230) / TOP SS Slub navy tee £40 / JEAN FD-002 Slim Taper Heavy wash 14oz red selvedge14oz (£290)
2. Left: TOP Sweatshirt grey (£90) / JEAN Jean FD-003 Unconventional 13oz blue selvedge (£260). Right: JACKET Keats biker (£240) / TOP SS Rugby white (£45) – JEAN FD-001 Slim 14oz red selvedge (£260).
3. JACKET Foreman jacket (£230) / TOP SS ecru breton tee (£55) / JEAN FD-002 Slim taper 12oz stretch selvedge (£260)
32-34 Division St, Sheffield S1 4GF // 0114 278 7124 // For prices, go to www.sa-kis.com
2. Folk Collarless Nylon Jacket / Folk Rivet Soft Yellow Sweater / Pretty Green Check Shirt / Lee 101 Rider Grey Selvedge Jean / Filling Pieces Mondo Ripple Shoes
3. Wood Wood Tracky Top & Bottoms / Wood Wood Man Bag / Tommy Hilfiger Graphic Pullover / Saucony Grid SD HT Trainer
4. Folk White Collarless Over Shirt / YMC Navy Pattern Shirt / Vivienne Westwood Ankle Trouser / Nubikk Khaki Jogger Joe Shoe
156-160 West St, Sheffield S1 4ES // 0114 272 6276 // www.wearecow.com
2. Tartan pinafore dress (£28) / Rework Harley Davidson polo neck (£32) / Faux fur leopard print hat (£8) / Rework Lyndsey jeans (£42) / Rework starter cropped sports jacket (£40) / DMs 2976 Crazy Horse (£135)
3. Rework mustard pinafore (£30) / Rework psychedelic box tee (£26) / DMs 2976 Crazy Horse (£135)
4. Rework denim cropped jacket (£42) / Pink pastel trousers (£18) / Rework stripy halterneck top (£26) / DMs 2976 Crazy Horse (£135)
Models: Gemma Sadler, Jessica Edwards, Dom Gladwin and Isaac Glave at DK Models, with Lewis Spark modelling for JoJo’s General Store.
Photographer: Timm Cleasby
Commercial photographer Timm Cleasby offers a fresh and creative approach to capturing everything from fashion brands to musicians, live music and events, product launches, PR campaigns, aerial photography. and plenty more besides. Head to the website for contact details and a portfolio of his work.
Hair: Niamh Kavanagh
Proud owner of Gypsy Rose Salon at 327 Abbeydale Road, Niamh Kavanagh is a one-woman band with a huge repertoire of hair and beauty skills to her name; from 40s and 50s pin-up styles to mermaid colours, rockabilly boys, simple trims, bridal hair, photoshoots and everything in between. Simply give her a call below or pop into the shop today.
Telephone: 0114 438 5827
Makeup: Chloe Gray
Specialising in photographic make-up, Sheffieldbased freelancer Chloe Gray creates unique looks for everything from high fashion to commercial, bridal, video and film. A former model, Chloe knows the industry inside-out with hands-on experience both in front of and behind the camera. She can also be found at the Mill Hair Studio, Kelham Island.
www.chloegray.co.uk // Insta: @themillhairstudio
Shoes: Dr Martens
All Dr. Martens shown provided by their Chapel Walk store, S12PD
The Chimney House – An award-winning events venue based in the heart of Kelham Island and nestled nicely overlooking the River Don. Perfect for private events, meetings, conferences and weddings, the Grade-II listed building’s history can be traced back to the 1860s and the origin of the steel mills which made the area famous.
Kelham Island Brewery – Brewing away in the city since 1990, this much-lauded independent brewery is famed in the city for its Pale Rider, Easy Rider and Pride of Sheffield beers. Their £20 brewery tour, pies, peas and pints offer remains ridiculously good value.
Clobber Calm – Specialising in raw and selvedge denim from the finest worldwide brands, not to mention an enviable selection of vintage men’s wares, Owner Ben’s journey began with a simple Instagram feed which has culminated in an online store and his own premises on Percy Street.
The Sheffield Brewery Co. – Serving up a range of finely polished beers since 2006 and housed in a rustic Victorian factory, the charming tap room here is open on the first Friday and Saturday of the month for Peddler market and offers various brewery events and
The Old Workshop – A winning collaboration between booze aficianado Tom Harrington of the Beer Engine and the owners of The Bhaji Café, this venue opened last summer and quickly became a favourite on the Kelham bar scene. Open Thursday to Sunday, it prioritises good beer, great music and a chilled atmosphere.